Tuesday, 23 June 2009

What I'm Growing

I never really meant to get into growing stuff. It was just that the decking seemed to be crying out for some pots and planters to make it look nice.

When we moved here, I had a couple of small shrubs in terracotta pots that I've been trying to grow for about 4 years. They have never done all that well (the shame of it, how can it be this hard to grow a small conifer!!). I also had a few wispy strands of garden mint that I was reliably informed would go mad in a pot.......except they hadn't!

So off I trundled to Homebase and picked up half a dozen planters as they were on offer. This of course meant I needed a few plants and I decided on herbs. I already had a herb garden in place on one side of the garden, which was home to a few plants that my mum had given me plus one or two other bits that I had bought myself.




Strawberries suddenly seemed like the greatest idea in the world. The Beans (aka my twins....you'll get used to this nickname as I use it all the time) both love strawberries and it's always looked so nice in pictures to see a strawberry planter. I started googling planters and came up with a really nice looking one. This is what my lovely MIL has bought me as an early birthday present :-D





I can't remember if it had already arrived when I decided that it actually might be better to put herbs in it, but I ended up ordering something else for the 18 strawberry plants that I had accidently bought on another trip to Homebase (they have had an extraordinary amount of money from me in the last 4 months!).







So there I was with 2 lovely planters, one of which needed plants, so I hit the herbs again. That sounds so much more fun that it actually was ;-) I won't bore you with the details of every planter that I bought, but I seem to have an awful lot of herbs growing now.......


French Tarragon - 2 plants
Cinammon Basil - 2 plants
Sweet Basil - 2 plants
Another Basil that is nameless
Roman Chamomile
3 other Chamomile plants
Lemon Thyme
Orange Thyme
2 other nameless Thyme plants (I could find out but that is so much work!)
Sage - another nameless one
Painted Sage
Blackcurrant Sage
Pineapple Sage
Lemon Balm
Dill
Fennel
Winter Savory - 2 plants
Dwarf Marjoram
Garden Mint
Apple Mint
Chocolate Mint
Lime Mint
Garlic chives
Chives
Lemon Grass
Rosemary
Green Oregano
Golden Oregano
Chervil
Curled Parsley


I think that's it for the herbs!!


The edibles came about by accident really. One of my lovely neighbours is quite the garden enthusiast and does a lot of growing. He offered me 5 tomato plants and I wasn't in a hurry to turn him down. These are now tucked in a nice sunny corner of the decking and doing very nicely. I think I have around 12 tomatoes coming at the moment :-)

Next came the Cayenne Pepper plant, again a gift from my neighbour. We'd been chatting about my tomatoes & strawberries and I was telling him how satisfying I was finding it actually seeing stuff growing.

I trekked over to a local big garden centre on Monday this week as I have suddenly found myself with an urge to grow more. Nothing was in stock at Homebase so a garden centre seemed like a better bet and I came home with 3 lovely healthy looking cucumber plants that have now taken up residence in a grobag. The courgettes were an Ebay buy, green bush variety if I remember rightly. They haven't arrived yet but hopefully will be here on Friday. I have planted some courgette seeds but I was very late with them so I am not expecting too much.

I'm irrationally excited about the crops I do have coming already and can't wait to see some action from the new plants. Does that make me sound as tragic as I think it does??

I've already told Gi that I need a vegetable patch!! The plan is to dig up the 2 irking great conifers in the corner of the garden, at the end of the summer. They are just in the way and I don't like them anyway, scruffy looking things! I'd like to put in 1 or 2 raised beds and grow more crops. I don't think he cares what I grow providing he doesn't have to tend the beds. I have also put a greenhouse on my list for Santa this year, so I'm planning to be a very good girl for the rest of the year, lol!

I'll be taking progress shots of my crops, yes, I really am that sad........ and I will update if I get anything else to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment